Sunday, October 5, 2008

Because it's cool to jump on the bandwagon

I thought it'd be fun and enjoyable to create a blog just to jot down thoughts, keep in touch with people, and keep everyone informed on my insane life and future aspirations. Quite a long agenda but if you'll sit here long enough to read it I'll sit here and keep typing. In the words of Daniel Tosh "I'll just keep talking until about six people know what the heck i'm talking about, then we'll move on to the next joke."

Ever since I was really little I think I had the independence and will to drive my parents completely off the wall. From the infamous events (in Mike and Beth's minds) of me opening the front door and walking straight out (despite losing the birthrite to see "a goofy movie"), I forever sealed my life of crime. I was never like the other kids, I always had different interests and though i was friends with many people I only felt that I shared a bond with a select few. Who became my best friends? A Canadian Anarchist, a Frenchman, and a Jew. Sort of sounds like the start of a bad bar joke right? But despite my brash generalizations, these were the people (along with my family) that became the foundation of who I am today.

Through my gradeschool years I learned the hardway that you are more socially accepted if you do what everyone else does. Kids in the late '90's and early 2000's didn't really understand people who listened to rush, radiohead, and counting crows I guess. But throughout these hard times I discovered many truths about myself. But we all know the horrors of middleschool so lets fast-forward....

Freshman year! I'm finally a big kid! All of this new independence combined with raging hormones. And where did I want to go? An all boys catholic college prepatory school. Talk about a suckerpunch from biology. It took a little while to adapt (it went pretty quickly when i learned about the all GIRLS schools that were around and these amazing events called varsity football games) but i survived to be writing this over three years later. Wow has it really been that long? Over the next three years I'd discover why everyone talks about high school.

Everyone goes through dreams of becoming an astronaut, a professional athlete, or the president of the United States. Even I did, which is funny because I hate math, don't like being told how to do something, and loath the political system. So I needed to think about a profession that would allow me to express myself, travel often and keep myself out of a desk (WOOT for A.D.D.!). For a while I had no clue until about halfway through freshman year(and even up to senior year) where I found a passion for film.

I was talking to my friend Andre (now called andrew so he's not associated with his parents origin) about movies and he started recommending movies that I see and that He, Austin, and I should have a movie festival over the summer. If you lived in the Hauser household during my middle school years you would know how often the basement was used as THE party venue. In fact it was agreed upon that it was my friends' favorite place to hang out. Even more than the South of Lane (aka SoL) mansions that a few of them lived in. So before we moved to cleveland we had quite a few parties where we viewed classics such as Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Citizen Kane, A Clockwork Orange, and Battle Royale(the movie that sparked my love for Asian Cinema).

So I took the initiative at Saint Edward High School and in collaboration With Mark Urban (My freshman English teacher) created the St. Ed's Film Club (or maybe a recreation, might have to consult Big Mike on that). Since then we have viewed about 30 movies, produced a few students who became film majors, and from a small group of 12 people have grown exponentially to almost 50 as my tenure as President comes to an end.

On the side of leading film club, going on many retreats and protests (I'll be in GA on the 21st of November!), and being a member of Catholic Schools for Peace and Justice, I often relax by listening to music and writing. Most of the scripts will never be seen by anyone but myself and a few others but i'm pretty enthusiastic about sharing my ideas with people who ask.

When it comes to multimedia I can confidently say that I am a rare breed. A person who will listen to or watch anything and everything. I might not like everything I see but every film gives me more information on what it takes to create a film. As for music, I think my playlist or mp3 player says it all. I love all kinds of music (save most country and opera) but especially have a love of alternative rock and some of that screamo-emo music parents must love! (well Beth likes Finch and Deftones which she infact turned ME onto so maybe she can't talk).

My 17 years on this earth have definately rattled a bit of the general population but I think that is my calling. Not to conform with society but to jump off the path and sprint through the woods, maybe i'll tumble down a few cliffs but when you climb back out of the valley you will find yourself on the tallest mountain!

4 comments:

into the mystic... said...

well there you have it - a quick synopsis from MY FAVORITE KID - you always say, "mom, i'm your ONLY kid"....but rememeber, i know ALOT of kids. :)

we love you and are proud of you - you're the coolest person i know. thanks for putting up with your crazy mom all these years. can we go back to 1991 and do it all again? xoxox

Michelle said...

It IS cool to jump on this band wagon. Film, huh? I can't wait to hear more about your passion and by the way, I love Clockwork Orange. One of my all time favorite movies. Your playlist rocks! I didn't know you had such great taste in music. Love you...

meg said...

michael! you're a great writer, dude. keep in touch.. and i wish you luck in your last year of high school! wooohoooo! don't let the senioritis kick in too much, ok?

Diane said...

I loved reading this again. Nice job, Michael...nice job. I am hoping you are having an awesome senior year.